When the Isle of Wight Railway relinquished Terriers W9, W10, W12 and W14 back to the mainland, W13 Carisbrooke continued as one of three Terriers left on the Island and was fitted with motor gear to operate on Merstone to Ventnor West services, until war was declared in 1939.
By 1942, Carisbrooke was the last Terrier working, albeit on Newport piloting duties, but by November 1945 the locomotive had resumed Ventnor West services, passing into British Railways stock on 1 January 1948.
Ryde Works carried out their own relivery on the engine, hand painting shaded ‘British Railways’ lettering over the base Malachite Green and Carisbrooke remained in this condition until Autumn 1952, by which point it had left the Island and was operating on the Hayling Island Branch, numbered 32677.
DCC Type: DCC Ready
Period: Era 4
Operator/Livery: Transitional BR
Designer: William Stroudley
Entered Service: 1880
Minimum Curve: R1
Age Suitability: 14+
Motor: 3 Pole Skew Wound
Wheel Configuration: 0-6-0